My top tip: Skip to Get Fit! Can be done anywhere, anytime, is cheap and you can burn 70-110kcal in 10 min!
You might think I am joking, but did you know how effective skipping really is? I used to skip for years when we lived in sunny Sydney, then we moved to London and I stopped. No idea why!
Maybe as it is a very intense kind of exercise and it does take a while to build it up.
After finishing the Swimathon 2015, I have been back to running and really feel like I need to do something else too. Then we were clearing our garage and I came across my old skipping rope.
(It’s actually not that old, I bought it at TKMaxx a few years back and sadly used it only a few times.)
I had a good look at it, and decided that my challenge will be to get back into skipping, and hopefully by my 40th birthday this June I will be confident enough to skip for a few minutes without feeling sick and actually enjoying it.
Why to skip?
- You can burn up to 110 calories in 10 mins, depending on your pace and body weight
- It works out your muscles (abdomen area, arms, shoulders, legs, and butt)
- Regular skipping can give you a great cardio work-out and lead to toned muscles
- Can greatly improve your hand-eye coordination, agility and balance over time.
- It may reduce the risk of developing brittle bones or osteoporosis because it develops a strong foundation for your bones
A guide for beginners:
1. Buy a skipping rope
2. Adjust your skipping rope by holding the handle and stepping on the rope ( the handle should reach your armpits)
3. Make sure you choose a spacious area to skip, mind the ceiling too!
4. Wear comfortable trainers
6. Start skipping (not higher than an inch off the ground)
7. Develop a rhythm between skipping and swinging the rope
8. Build stamina over time
As with any linky, please follow the simple rules below, and I am very excited about reading all your fitness & health posts.
1. Link up your fitness & health posts (up to 3, new or old), and comment on this post
2. Add my badge or place a link back to Fitness4Mamas.com
3. Read and comment on other blog posts.
4. If you promote your link on Twitter, don’t forget to add #FitnessTuesday @Fitness4Mamas so I can RT and promote your link too!
Fitness Tuesday badge
Copy and paste this HTML code into your blog post: