One of the things I love to treat myself to is a lovely pedicure. In warmer months I want my feet to look the best, and often go for different nail polish every 2 or 3 days.
Today I would like to share a few tips by the celebrity nail technician Lucy Tucker (all images below are from her Instagram account) who has worked her magic on the hands and feet of celebrities including Kimberley Walsh, Emma Watson and Julianna Moore.
Check out her secrets on how to achieve the perfect pedicure from the comfort of your own home!
1. “Soaking feet in really hot water will dry your skin out, so keep the temperature warm and not steaming. You can make your own soak using a combination of one part Epsom Salt with one part baking soda and add a few drops of your favourite essential oil — I like lavender as it also helps to calm the mind while you soak! The salt helps to soften skin and cuticles.”
2. “Fill your foot bowl with marbles to rub feet over for a salon-esque massage! A packet of marbles can be as cheap at £1! It is much more cost effective than visiting the spa or salon and feels lovely. Your feet have lots of pressure points and the pressure of the marbles will also help to relieve stress.”
3. “Buff your feet when they’re dry not wet as it’s harder to see what areas need filing if you have wet feet. Cracked feet can also split in water, which can be painful and lead to infection. After buffing you can use a file to get really rough areas. It’s also important to dry feet properly after soaking as otherwise you can get nail fungus, which neither looks nor feels very glamourous in your sandals.”
4. “Never cut nails at an angle as it can cause ingrown nails. A good technique is to make a few small cuts across your nail and don’t try to clip each toenail in one shot as this can lead to them growing at funny angles. If you do feel like a nail is growing into the sides of your toes, then consult a doctor as these can be painful and tricky to remove if left.”
5. “If you have cracks in your heels, follow up with a cream formulated especially for that. If you don’t have a foot cream you can also use Vaseline mixed with lime juice, wrap with cling film for 15 minutes and then remove using a towel.”
6. “There are 250 sweat glands in your feet so a good moisturiser – like Scholl Velvet Smooth Night Mask – will help keep your feet feeling fresher for longer.”
7. “Nail polish won’t hide bad nail health for long so help maintain healthy, smooth and strong nails by taking supplements rich in zinc, Vitamin E and Biotin like Seven Seas Perfect7 Woman. Lack of vitamins and minerals can lead to broken and cracked nails and ridges.
I was very pleased to see Lucy recommending the Seven Seas Perfect 7 Woman supplements as I have been taking these for months now. I can happily say that my nails are much stronger and can grow them really long.
Having seen so many of my friends having problems with growing healthy nails I always recommend taking these supplements as they really work.
I also need to be taking these because of my running and fitness routines, and love the fact you get everything you need by taking 2 capsules daily. It’s part of my morning routine, and it would feel strange to stop taking these.
Presenting you my natural nails! All images my own from my Instagram stream!