Not long ago I managed to break my wireless headphones when closing a drawer. I was gutted as I loved running with these. After realising these would not be repairable, I started searching for a new pair.
Then I was offered to run St Albans half-marathon as an ambassador for a local charity called Verulamium at Play. While I was registering for the race, I had to confirm I would be running with or without headphones. The only headphones allowed were the bone conduction headphones. I had no idea what that meant, and started searching again.
Soon I came across AfterShokz, the bone conduction headphone brand known for prioritising situational awareness and comfort through its unique open ear design. They have kindly offered me a pair of their next generation wireless bone conduction headphones for a review.
How Does Bone Conduction Technology Work?
Trekz Air uses bone conduction technology to transmit audio waves to the inner ears through the skull, bypassing the eardrums completely.
Place the headphones on your cheekbones, just in front of your ears. This leaves your ear canals open, allowing you to remain alert and aware of ambient sounds, teammates, coaches, and more while you enjoy your music.
Bluetooth® connectivity gives you the ability to be free of wires and make and receive phone calls.
Trekz Air features
Trekz Air are the ultimate sport headphones inspired by the demands of elite and aspiring athletes. These new wireless headphones wrap powerful features in a functional, flexible and featherweight design, ignoring the limits set by traditional sport headphones.
● Full titanium frame and wraparound band, an element chosen not only for its strength and durability, but also for its infinite flexibility, which will deliver maximum comfort, portability and universal fit.
● OpenFit™ design: Promising uncompromised situational awareness and extended comfort in a revolutionary open ear design. That means you can tune in to your music or a call without tuning out the world around you — vital for staying safe and alert as you move through the day.
● PremiumPitch+™ sound: Bone conduction audio has earned its bad reputation due to a blend of natural sound leakage and weak bass. PremiumPitch+™ technology optimises the sound and includes additional features like LeakSlayer™ technology, which eliminates sound leakage almost entirely.
● Sweat resistant: Built to power through daily sweat sessions and wicked weather. IP55 rated to repel sweat, moisture and dust.
● Six hours of music and calls: A single charge will reliably deliver at least six hours of music play and talk time. You can charge fully in 1.5 hours, but a quick 15-minute charge provides enough boost to get you through a long workout or marathon call.
● Dual noise canceling mics: Precisely placed dual noise canceling microphones exclude surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech for crystal clear calls.
● Voice prompts: Audrey Says™ seamlessly guide you through power, pair, play and talk, and everything in between.
● Available in four colours: Midnight Blue, Forest Green, Slate Gray and Sunset Pink, RRP £149.95
At first I was a bit sceptical about the amount and quality of music you can get via the bone induction technology. But then I could not believe the high quality of sound of the music. I was impressed with how much I was able to hear the surrounding sounds. This is so important when running outside.
The Trekz Air are definitely the lightest headphones I have ever tested. I also loved the fact they stayed in place for the whole of my 16km run!
I love these, and can imagine many more happy miles running with these.
Win a Pair of Trekz Air – AfterShokz NEW Ultimate Sport Bone Conduction Headphones worth £149.95
I have teamed up with Aftershokz UK who have donated a pair of slate grey Trekz Air headphones worth £149.95 to one lucky Fitness 4 Mamas reader!
If you would like to enter, please follow the instructions in the Rafflecopter widget below.
UK & Ireland 18+ entries only!